Table of Contents
Here at ZLC we pride ourselves in our ability to provide realistic air traffic control (ATC) services to pilots using the real world operating procedures.
Of course, we realize the limitations of the network and different level of users, so we attempt to bridge the gap and provide our ATC with an extreme amount of resources to be able to do their job in a timely and accurate manner.
Through your experience with us, you will learn about a system we refer to as In-Scope Reference (ISR) where most of your data that would be normally memorized by the hundreds of controllers in the real world, is only a few keystrokes away for you. This is only one of many resources we provide our ATC.
To get you set up with ZLC and our operating standards, please keep this page bookmarked during your in-processing time to help guide you through the process.
- You have been assigned a ZLC-VATUSA exam, do NOT take that exam until told to do so in this checklist. You have 28 days from the time it was assigned to take it and if you are not ready by that time, email the DATM and request an extension.
- ZLC has a website www.zlcartcc.com that hosts all of our resources in one place. Sign on to that site via the VATSIM SSO system once an account for you has been created.
- Shortly after being accepted to ZLC, you will receive an email that gives you your login credentials for the Resource Center that has been made for you.
- The email will have a subject line of "Your personal access to rc.zlcartcc.com".
- Your Username for the site will always be your VATSIM CID number.
- Discord Voice Application - Setup will be covered in your assigned Computer Based Training orientation.
- It is highly suggested that you Opt-In to "Receive Broadcast Emails" from VATUSA. You may do this by logging into VATUSA.net and selecting the option here: https://www.vatusa.net/my/profile
- If you have any questions or issues, contact the DATM as soon as possible. ZLC-DATM at VATUSA.NET
Follow every step below in order to expedite your in-processing and training for ZLC ARTCC.
- All of the following steps are REQUIRED to be completed prior to your first training session/taking the Directive/General Knowledge written exams..
- Ensure your email address registered with VATSIM is monitored regularly and check spam folder for important communications from VATSIM, VATUSA, and ZLC. (VATSIM Code of Conduct section A.5)
- Read the ARTCC Policy Manual and add emails to your email contacts as instructed. This can be found in the Resources section on this site https://rc.zlcartcc.com
- Once you have access to the ZLC Resource Center, complete all of the tasks and reading (in order) within the “Orientation” section of the ZLC CBTs on this site https://rc.zlcartcc.com >Training Courses>Computer Based Training
- In addition to the Orientation section, S1 or higher rating must compete the "Resource Center Training" section.
- Read the following material on the RC site prior to taking the VATUSA-ZLC exam that will be assigned to you:
- Facility directives
- General Controlling Directives
- Radar Software>Command references
- Training Courses>Computer Based Training
- Training Courses>Supplemental Training
- You have been assigned a ZLC-VATUSA exam to be given a basic evaluation of general knowledge and ZLC directives/resources.
- To take the exam now, you must have completed all of the above required reading. Go to VATUSA.net > My VATUSA > Exam Center.
- You will have 28 days from the time the test is assigned to complete it.
- The test is usually assigned the moment you are accepted to the ARTCC.
- You must pass said exam with a score of 80% or higher.
- If you fail the exam, you must schedule a training session for "OPS1" as instructed via the Orientation CBTs.
- The training request needs to be made within 7 days of failed attempt.
- The actual training session needs to be within 30 days of the failed attempt.
- Visitor controllers will be permitted to fail the exam once. After the OPS1 training is completed and the instructor feels confident in the student visitor's abilities, the exam will be reassigned. If failed again, ZLC reserves the right to remove that student visitor.
- If you passed the exam, you must schedule a training session for "OPS2" as instructed via the Orientation CBTs.
- The training request needs to be made within 7 days of passing the exam.
- The actual training session needs to be within 30 days of passing the exam.
- To ensure complete understanding of ZLC procedures and practices, you will need to complete a practical evaluation with an instructor. This evaluation will also be an opportune time to ask questions with real time answers and demonstrations.
- Once the instructor determines that you are up to speed with ZLC procedures and concepts, the instructor will certify you to control all VATSIM Non-Designated Airspace within ZLC ARTCC and you may work through your Designated airspace ratings later at your convenience.
- Added references on how to complete the VATUSA Exam. VATUSA Auto-Send Exam Assigned Email has been changed to direct members to this page rather than the VATUSA Exam Center. Too many were taking the exam prior to reading the required material.
- Added an advisory: *It is highly suggested that you Opt-In to "Receive Broadcast Emails" from VATUSA. You may do this by logging into VATUSA.net and selecting the option here: https://www.vatusa.net/my/profile
- Changed TeamSpeak info to Discord voice application info.
- Changed the CBT reading requirement for Supplemental Training from Optional to Mandatory
- Added a requirement for all students to schedule a session with an instructor after passing or failing the ZLC-Exam.
- Removed need to confirm the new users email address.
- Initial creation of the wiki based checklist vs the old email system